Truck Drivers know how crucial it is to follow trucking safety tips. The unexpected can always happen when out on the road. Cars pull in front of trucks and brake, weather causes trucks to lose control, or vehicles get in the blind spots. It’s important for drivers to stay aware out on the road. Always follow these trucking safety tips, to ensure arriving back home safely.
- Check Equipment– Before going out on the road each day, conduct a thorough equipment inspection. Ensure that your truck is road ready.
- Check Blind Spots– Equipment removes most blind spots on trucks, but there is still the risk of not seeing other motorists. It’s important for drivers to know low visibility locations and be scanning. Scanning will allow for cars not to pull into blind spots unnoticed.
- Maintain Distance– It’s tempting to speed up when everyone is flying past. It’s important though to maintain a safe driving distance from the car in front of you. Cars can suddenly brake. Following too close can cause a disastrous situation to occur.
- Adjust for Bad Weather– Weather causes a high percentage of trucking-related accidents. It’s important to reduce speed when weather affects the road conditions. Reduced speed will allow time for corrections on rough roads.
- Use A GPS– Knowing where you need to go is better than guessing. It’s easy to have an exit sneak up on you if you don’t know where you are going. The last thing you want to do with a truck is to make a quick maneuver.
- Be Alert– It’s important always to be scanning when out on the road. Be checking your mirrors and looking down the road in case of accidents or traffic.
- Maintain Yourself– A truck won’t drive without a driver. It is important to eat healthy, exercise, and get enough sleep so that you can function for the job each day.
Lawrence Transportation commits to improving safety and the service to customers. Lawrence Transportation’s rating remains satisfactory with the Federal Motor Carrier Administration. The importance of the safety of Lawrence Transportation’s drivers and the public is high. New programs focus on the improvement and safety of equipment within the organization.
These programs include one-on-one driver counseling, safety training, and monthly audits of equipment. Visit the website to find out more about driving for Lawrence Transportation.